A 3-Day Action Forum
April 19-21, 2021 | Beginning at 12:00 EDT Each Day
This virtual forum will bring together Extension faculty, staff, federal representatives,
administrators, interested partners and constituents to address the question:
What can/should the Cooperative Extension System do to advance climate change programming?
Monday, April 19 (12:00 – 1:30pm EDT)
Setting the Stage: How can the Cooperative Extension System rise to our full potential in advancing climate change programming?
At this opening session, our panelists of federal leaders representing national Extension interests will each provide a brief presentation followed by open discussion with forum participants. Confirmed panelists (with additional invitations pending) include:
- Mr. Bill Hohenstein, Director, USDA’s Office of Energy and Environmental Policy, Office of the Chief Economist
- Dr. Carrie Castille, Director, National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- Dr. Caroline Henney, Executive Director for the Cooperative Extension System/Extension Committee on Organization and Policy (ECOP)
- Dr. Nikola Garber, Deputy Director of the National Sea Grant College Program
Monday, April 19 (1:30 – 2:30pm EDT)
An informal space with breakouts to better connect with colleagues engaged in and passionate about climate change initiatives in Extension.
Tuesday, April 20 (12:00 – 1:30pm EDT)
Digging Deeper into Extension Climate Programming with State Leadership Panels
On day two, our panelists of State Extension Directors from across the country will highlight some of the climate change-related Extension programming in their states followed by open discussion with forum participants. Confirmed panelists (with additional invitations pending) include:
- 1994 – Benita Liston, Diné College
- 1890 – Dr. Obadiah Njue, Assistant Dean for Extension, University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff
- South – Dr. Rich Bonanno, Associate Dean, CALS and Director, NC Extension
- North Central – Dr. Karl Martin, Dean and Director of Extension, UW Madison
- Northeast – Dr. Brian Schilling, Director of Extension, Rutgers University & Chair, Association of Northeast Extension Directors
- West – Dr. Ken White, Vice President and Dean, USU Extension
Wednesday, April 21 (12:00 – 2:00pm EDT)
Elevating and Amplifying Action
On the final day of the forum, join your colleagues in facilitated breakout sessions to discuss and identify priorities within your program area for advancing climate change education and action in the next 2, 12, and 24 months. Then come back together for the closing plenary to share each program area’s identified priorities and wrap up.